Sunday, October 3, 2010

22 Appreciates Dirty Humor as well as any 12-Year-Old

We're currently covering Greek Tragedy Styles in Acting. We begin, of course, with reports on the Greek Way of Life. Starting off with a bang was the entertaining presentation of the very capable John Ware and Kevin Macku.
Let's get one thing out in the open about John Ware: He may be the most adorable human being in the world because of his devoted and entirely unassuming nature. Not only that, but he's modern in the very best version of the world, so having him say, "So Zeus was like, "Dude, Ephestias, crack my head open," and he did, and like, out popped Athena, hot as fuck and completely sheathed in armor," is just about the funniest thing I could ever ask for in an acting class.
Class was great! Everyone was joking around, and I really just could not stop laughing...for the first two hours. The last hour drug on, but so it goes as one adjusts to new schedules. I also learned that Greek Mythology has a way of making me into a second grader, and believe me, I know what Second Graders are like (Chester himself just passing into Third.) So, apparently, the myth of Uranus is that his son, Kronos, cut off his penis, threw it into the ocean, and bam, Aphrodite was born. Are you kidding me?! I was giggling and looking around at everyone during this entire schpill! How is this not the most hilarious thing in the world? Why don't we all know about this? Kronos CUT OFF HIS PENIS, and then, the drops of blood from his...ahem....member, splattered across the world and created the Furies. EEEEWWWW. And Aphrodite? Girl, come on. No wonder you're the goddess of love and lust. You came from a Penis. I wouldn't even think of questioning your position in the world.

I'm still currently searching for Showcase scenes, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. Mikayla and I are doing the Antigone/Ismene scene from "Antigone," for Acting Styles, and I'm PUMPED about it! I'm not kidding--Antigone is my girl. I did her final monologue for Final Boards during Second Year. I walked around in a tragic state for days leading up to that performance. I kept imagining the aforementioned Favorite Brother Jared as Antigone's dead body bro, and it was killllin' me.

What are Boards, you may ask? Well, dear Internet-er, Boards are the most terrifying thing on the planet. Basically, you perform a scene and a monologue for the faculty at your school, and if you pass them, your progress is deemed acceptable, then you stay in the program. If you do not, regardless of your class work, you are CUT, baby, CUT.

Sure, there ARE a lot of factors that lead up to one being cut, and other being retained, but as someone who was almost cut, and had it come as a complete surprise, I absolutely hate Boards. Even the times when I succeeded wildly at Boards, I would go and disappear and be sick for the next day. Even my Dad had nightmares about Boards. I would tell myself they were wonderful, that everything was wonderful and fine and beautiful in the world, and still, I would find myself hyperventilating and twitching the entire time we were assessed. TERRIFYING.




No comments:

Post a Comment